Want Stronger Wrists - An Easy, Inexpensive Exercise Strategy



The other day I was out for a walk, I had been running and jogging during the week, and I thought I'd take it easy. I put on my clod hoppers, my New Balance hiking shoes and headed out on a popular trail. There were other people walking on the trail, and one person had a couple of plastic dumbbells that he was carrying. Myself, I had picked up a couple rocks that were unique, and I happen to be carrying those. I held them up high when I saw him and said; "I only have rocks today" and I laughed.

He told me that was smart because they were a lot cheaper than the dumbbells he bought at Sports Authority, but he told me to make sure that they were of similar weight so I didn't walk lopsided. I laughed of course, and thanked him for the advice. The reality is that if you want stronger wrists and strength in your hands, then you should be walking with something you can grip onto, and something that has a little weight to it, I suppose our ancestors carried spires and/or baskets. Below are a few ideas for you:

1. Walk with rocks or dumbbells
2. Cane or small retractable umbrella
3. Trash picker-upper
4. Take your dog for a walk and hold on tight

Interestingly enough, I've already addressed the first item, and that can work very well for you. Of course, if you live in an area where there is occasional trash, wouldn't it be great if you would pick up some of that trash as you walked? If you carry a trash picker upper in one hand, and a bag in the other, you can help clean up the neighborhood, hiking trail, or area or park while you are getting your exercise. Many people take their dogs for a walk, and this means they have to have strong wrists to keep their dog from running off. If you do this you should be switching hands every so often.

Lastly, I have a neighbor who walks with a retractable umbrella or a small cane. He often holds such baton-like objects with both hands, and does is stretching exercises while he is walking. Gripping a cane or a retractable small umbrella can help strengthen your hands and your wrists, especially if you move them around as you walk. These may sound like a very simple things that hardly even need to be mentioned, but you'd be surprised how many people have hand and wrist problems in their old age.

If they just did this on their daily walks and exercise, they wouldn't have these problems later in life. Please consider all this and think on it.

Lance Winslow has launched a new provocative series of eBooks on Self Help Strategies. Lance Winslow is a retired Founder of a Nationwide Franchise Chain, and now runs the Online Think Tank; http://www.worldthinktank.net

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Lance_Winslow
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

See Also