Self-Care Produces Energy



I just read an excellent article by Jane E. Brody based on the idea that we need to rethink exercise as a source of immediate rewards. Now that sentence can be taken in two ways: rethink the idea that the rewards are immediate or rethink that they are not immediate but rather long term. You see the potential confusion in this? Brody discusses how folks take on an exercise regime, say, 10 minutes a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year, for example, to promote good health, mental acuity, and add to the quality of longevity. This is how many people approach exercise, with an "I-have-to-do-it-or-else" attitude, an attitude that denotes a degree of determination but no dedication. Seeking long-tern rewards ignores the benefits of rewards in the here and now, that burst of vitality that powers and empowers.

Brody takes daily walks, plays with her dog, and in this article, has vacillated between taking her daily 40-minute swim or skipping it to head straight to her writing desk. She pauses and ponders and then accepts that skipping is not an option. Her swim awakens her senses with freshness and vigor that enriches her writing, her state of mind, and her approach to the rest of the day. She is motivated to exercise because of the immediate rewards. I loved this attitude and objective as it reflects how I feel about my daily exercise routine.


45 years ago I took a body conditioning class in college. I selected this course as it sounded fun, engaging, and I enjoyed the instructor. We stretched, did sit-ups and pull-ups, and ran. While I have become lax on the first three, running has transitioned into a joy of every morning, an inspiration for the day, an escape into solitude for thinking, reflecting, and finding peace. I do not need a prod or bits of encouragement to get up, grab a cup of coffee, and then head out of the door toward open streets and trails. It is just what I do; it is an automatic essential of my daily routine. As I result I have more energy, a more positive outlook, and am excited about the up coming day.

Running helps me work out aggravation and angst. If I have a problem or something is bugging me, pounding the asphalt solves many an issue. If I am worried or feeling stressed about an event or situation, minutes on the road with a rising sun on my shoulders and stillness surrounding me help me refocus, reorder, and see things in a new light. Running is also inspirational. At home, the paths are familiar as are the faces I meet and the animals I greet (dogs and rabbits in particular). When I travel, I love scooting down new streets as I study architecture, housing styles, and yard designs. I am able to get "the lay of the land" as I acquaint myself with a new venue. I also get a take on the residents. For example, in Berkley only dog-walkers are prone to respond to "Good morning". Just a few miles down the freeway in San Jose, everyone is ready for a hearty hello. In San Francisco I am usually alone as far as runners and walkers go but I do leap an occasion person snoozing on the sidewalk. They rarely respond to me at all.

In rural areas, I enjoy the camaraderie of cattle and horses. The latter are especially curious as they approach their fence and trot along beside me with a cheering snort or two. I love the shade and whispering sunlight of forests and trees and the wide-open sunshine of farmland and fields. Other than a scary dog that comes charging with teeth unfurled (they respond to a stop, turn, and firm "No!") my runs are fantastic. Parks are excellent too for meet-and-greet. Although some runners are curiously serious, most appear to be wallowing in the glory of the day, expressed through smiles, waves, and howdy-dos.


I am self-motivated to run because I recognize and am receiving the short-term and the long-term rewards. It is a special self-care that inspires and guides. I have been blessed with the love of the out-of-doors plus sturdy legs and knees, and a mind that grows and develops through this fresh air encounter. This is what I am hoping for you, too, a mind that realizes the immediate advantages of exercise that will, in time, lead to long-term, life enriching energy and happiness.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Gini_Cunningham
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

See Also