Use It Or Lose It - How To Stay Strong And Vital In Your Golden Years

A Quick Preamble:

I was spinning this article around in my head for what amounted to several brain-frozen days before I could "put-pen-to-paper"... or in my case, before I could "put-clumsy-sausage-sized-finger-to-keyboard-that-needs-a-serious-clean"...

... oh oh, as usual I digress... what I mean is, I really wasn't sure how to write this without insulting anybody of the "older-adult" community - yeah yeah, OK, people just like myself - woteva... !!
Anyway, I took the bull by the horns, stayed true to myself and simply stuck to the truth of my "strength training" issue, and although it's directed at the erm, let's say, "maturer generation", this simple old adage (my main message here) applies, to the young, the middle-aged and the elderly...

"USE IT OR LOSE IT"

Cutting To The Chase:

Dr. Walter Bortz, MD, says this:

"Almost everything we have been taught about aging is wrong... We now know that a very fit body of 70 can be the same as a moderately fit body of 30."

I fully agree and further say:

"Strength training is definitely not restricted solely to the domain of the young... many of our more senior men and women are reaping the benefits of hitting the weights and retaining their strength and vitality, well into their old age..!"

I absolutely do practise what I preach... for a minimum 3 days per week, sometimes 5 or 6, I work-out for 30 to 40 minutes or so, using nothing but a cheap exercise mat and an old set of free-weights - a small set of simple dumb-bells... and at almost 55 years of age, I'm as strong and as energetic as a lot of people I know who are half my age.

Hey, I'm not talking about the fanatical muscle-headed, "that-guys-got-bigger-biceps-than-my-thighs" or "there's-no-breasts-left-on-that-chick", "30-hours-every-day-in-the-gym", "check-out-my-abs", iron-pumping body-building (phew)... no, I'm talking about basic strength training that keeps you toned and tight and in physically good shape well into your old age.

The Core Problem...

Growing older IS UNDOUBTEDLY INEVITABLE, que sera, such is life and hohum... and nature dictates that we must slow down a little and mellow out... for many people though, growing older is much worse and is all about what THEY (WRONGLY) BELIEVE is inevitable i.e. complete loss of strength and vitality proved by the fact that they can't walk far or carry anything heavier than a small bag of groceries...

... because they're SUPPOSED to get weak and frail...

... because that's what society (especially the young) EXPECTS of them...

What a pile of hog-wash... nothing could be further from the truth... unless you suffer from a seriously debilitating illness or disease - in which case you absolutely should seek medical advice prior to starting any type of exercise program, then there's absolutely nothing to stop any of you "seniors" from staying as strong and as energetic as you can possibly be.

Loss of strength and vitality as you age is due to loss of muscle mass and muscle tone, bone strength and suppleness... and only because of one reason... LAZYNESS... simple..!

You just have to think and remember that when young, as a normal healthy person, we all walk, run, jump, play sport, climb, lift and move stuff - at work and at play... we're active, we're strong, energetic and chock-full of vitality... it's the "vitality-circle" of life, the more you do, the stronger and more energetic you become, the more you do...

"USE IT... "

... then time, life and peer or social expectancy take their toll... there's less physical exertion, less walking, less lifting and carrying, (much) more sitting on our butt for (much) longer periods of time... this is the "lazy-circle" of life, the more you don't do, the weaker and less energetic you become, the more you don't do...

"... OR LOSE IT..!"

Of course that being said, I'd just like to point out at this point, in defense of us "older-adults", that being lazy isn't the sole domain of the elderly... sadly, in the modern era of satellite TV, the WWW, the likes of Play Station or X-Box and convenient junk foods, the "lazy-bug" is also taking it's toll on the young...

... so beware youngster, you're gonna get old way before your time if you keep up that "junk" lifestyle..!

All The Positives...

It's been agreed for many years, and proven by many experts during that time, that just a few regular short sessions - as little as twice per week, of light strength-training exercises coupled with a little bit of gentle "yoga" and/or "cardio" is still effective and super-beneficial as you get older... you could be a geriatric Super-Man, or Super-Woman - well at least you'd FEEL like one anyway..!

I'm talking about the type of exercise that's perfectly effective for men and women of all ages, that when carried out regularly and of course correctly, strengthens bones as well as muscle... which subsequently maintains strength, energy, overall vitality, mobility and balance, and the most important thing as you get older - your 'independence'..!

It gets even more positive yet... strength training can (and often does) very effectively reduce the aches, pains and uncomfortable conditions of many different ailments:

- Back pain (been there, done that..!) - strengthens back and abdominal muscles for the good of your spine... I know this via first-hand experience.

- Osteoporosis - maintains and/or increases bone density for improved posture and stability.

- Arthritis - reduces stiffness and pain leading to increased flexibility.

- Diabetes - improves blood oxygenation for improved glycemic control.

- Excess weight - excess fat is burned and replaced with muscle as your metabolism increases.

- Depression - (been there, done that too..!) - the act of "doing" and then seeing the results in a fairly short time-period, boosts self-esteem and improves the mindset.

How - The Basics...

My single, most important piece of advice for you here, is this: ONE SMALL STEP AT A TIME... If you haven't used weights or weight machines before, or it's been a long time since you have, start very slowly and very light and then gradually build up as the weeks go by... just trust me when I tell you that in this case, patience really is a virtue... if you go full tilt at this too soon, without mastering the movements and/or the breathing techniques, man you are going to hurt - all over..!

I know - been there, done that too..!

Oh and by the way, "free-weights" are by far the best thing to use, rather than the "multi-gym" machine type of devices that you'll commonly find at most gyms these days - if you go to a gym just look around at the serious weight trainers and you'll notice they use very few of the machines but a lot of free-weights.

There are many schools of thought regarding the actual methodology i.e. the movement per muscle or the set and the amount of rep's - that's repetitions, that you need to do to for maximum benefit... you really need to check around and find out what suits you and what is the most comfortable for you...

... but remember not to be too comfortable - you need to put in some effort, get some sweat running down the crack of your butt (gross..!) and ache a little after you finish.

My method I use for myself is something I've developed over a good many years of trial, error and practise... it's fairly simple but very effective... and I've taught it to others to great effect - and yep, that includes much older people and people with negative health conditions... it hasn't failed to impress yet..!

I don't use fancy machines or methods, just a small set of dumb-bells while dressed in my rattiest t-shirt, shorts and training shoes... maybe some track-suit pants in winter and usually no shoes at all during summer and I do it all in the comfort of my own home.

You may be different and you may, at least at first, need the guidance of a personal trainer or a friend or a help group at at your local gym - for me these days, I prefer exercising first thing in the morning, in solitude while listening to music or some news on the radio... I tend to use the time to reflect on what I need to achieve during the course of the coming day...

... and be careful who you get to guide you - a well-meaning but inept personal trainer or guide could hurt you just as easily as you could hurt yourself.

I'm not going to go into my exact methodology here because although I know it as simple, it would still take a whole heap of detailed explaining and lots of writing as well as a whole pile of appropriate pictures etc., so you could see exact examples... that's all information for another day or maybe even for the full course that I intend creating in the not-too-distant future - we'll see..!

Suffice to say, just get out there and look around... try a few different things until you find the method that suits you, don't be in a rush to get "buff" and remember, this is like any other pastime - "practise makes perfect..!"

A Final Anecdote

It isn't everybody's "cup-o-tea" because it takes a bit of effort, and that's just fine and understood - it's your life and you must do whatever 'blows your hair back'... BUT... no matter your age, you really SHOULD be making strength training a regular habit so that you maintain your strength, your vitality and your independence, for the longest possible time...

For the massive benefits it can provide you, it actually takes up surprisingly little time, an average 30 minutes a couple of times a week is all you need - honestly, how many hours do you NEED to spend in front of the TV or on Facebook..?

* * *

To brighten your mood before you go, how about this amusing little ditty from Kenn Nesbitt:

I went to the gym.
I lifted a weight.
My muscles got bigger.
It felt really great.
I hoisted another,
a heavier one.
I got even stronger.
I thought it was fun.
I wandered outside where
I bent a steel bar.
I pulled up a park bench
and carried a car.
I picked up a truck
and then set out to try
to boost a big building
I spotted nearby.
So now I'm in jail, with
my muscles to thank.
I probably shouldn't have
held up that bank.

* * *

We're all about "Natural Health & Wellness for the mind, the body and the soul...
... and If you feel the need for some gentle and truthful guidance for varying ailments and problems, you could do a lot worse than check us out and what we have to say at: http://www.SelfHelpSniper.com and http://www.NaturalHealthSniper.com

Live Naturally Healthy, Live Long...

My Very Kindest Regards

Peter EC Kirwan

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Peter_Kirwan
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

See Also