The Value of a Well-Rounded Exercise Regime




With 2015 drawing to an end it is definitely time to reconsider your exercise regime. If it is flowing along with precision then relax, enjoy, and keep up the good work. If it has fallen by the wayside with several other lofty goals, promises, and dreams, it is time to reawaken it now. Do not wait for January 1 but rather get a head start by outlining a reasonable plan, checking for balance as in more than just one physical activity, and assigning the particular exercise to a particular day and time. For example, I run and swim regularly but I know I need to add some weights to the routine as well as I beginning yoga just for the fun of it. Knowing that I have to juggle everything in to an already overloaded schedule, preplanning is essential.

Running is the simple part. After all I can run just about anywhere, any time, and any place. I do not mind inclement weather: rain, snow, sunshine, or sleet will not keep me from my appointed route. While I do not relish being plummeted with hailstones or doused with wild wind, I know I can pull myself together and through it all. The swimming part is a bit more complicated as I must rely on local pools. The one in my town has limited hours and so I must adjust my schedule to fit theirs, however, I am traveling to a larger city three days a week and their pool has many possible swim times so I can alternate my swimming between the two places and hours of operation. Hurray! Two areas under control and two to go.


I have free weights in my home. My husband recommends them over any machine so I am set in that category. Because my arms are out-of-shape I realize that I will have to start light, institute repetitions, and work hard to gain strength. A bonus is my husband has served as a weights coach so I know that he will have me going and in tiptop shape fairly quickly. My yoga, again, relies on certain hours when classes are offered, especially since I want the classes and techniques that will most benefit me. This will be trial and error as well as I experimentation with types of yoga as well as the expertise of the instructor. I will toss in recommendations from family and friends, too, so that I do not wind up in a dark alley with lousy training going on.

These four pursuits constitute a pleasant balance of movement and muscle use and fortunately I am pretty excited about all of them. With this is mind here is my plan: Monday, Wednesday, Friday I will run then swim. I can get the sweat rolling then douse myself with the pool and later a hot shower. By including a variety of strokes I can shake up and loosen up many body parts. Figuring 45 minutes for running, 10 minutes to transition, and 30 minutes of laps, an hour and a half are quickly devoured. But since both pools have shower facilities I can work out and still arrive home fresh and ready for the day's endeavors.

On Tuesday and Thursday I will head downstairs to the weight room when I am home and out to a club with weights when I travel. Actually, I am starting light enough that I can possibly add a couple of hand-weights to my baggage. From weights I will transition to yoga. It seems like this warm-up/cool down interaction will be good. I do realize that I have to be traveling to find yoga with many daytime options so I may have to toss them in sometimes in a swimming slot to get two workouts per week. Saturdays will be used for make-up in any area that I missed, that needs additional attention, or that just feels right for the day, date, and time. I believe that on Sundays I will rest. I can throw in a walk with the dog, a bike ride around town, or a hike in the hills. Having Sunday open gets me off of my roller coaster routine, too.


What is your exercise/fitness plan? If you include what you like along with something new, the routine will be more pleasurable and invigorating. By mixing it up with several different physical workouts you will keep your brain happy and engaged as well. Brains like new stuff, in fact they thrive on them! Although I know that mixing exercise up will be challenging for some people, but for me it means that my schedule will fit my life. Happy new me and best wishes to you!


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Gini_Cunningham/146831
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

See Also