Exercising: A Road to Self Discovery



The concept of exercising was very foreign to me. In fact, it was terrifying; who would want to flail their arms like that for 20 consecutive seconds? What if I can't squat that low? I can't even carry my 5 year old nephew without panting.

But that was two years ago and these thoughts have drowned themselves out. I have not perfected my mindset but I have accepted the fact that I still have some ways to go before I reach my ultimate goal, which is to have a body that can endure the tests of time. And I think it's that acceptance that keeps you going; accepting and understanding your body are the first steps in transforming it.

But this level of understanding wasn't easy to come by. And despite my strength and conditioning coach's endless efforts of educating me, I remained stubborn and impatient. I wanted to lift heavy weights but refused to understand that 5 prep sessions weren't enough to transition me into that; I wanted to look at myself in the mirror and find rock hard abs and a perky booty but kept finding even more flaws. I had absolutely no faith in myself which pushed me into a vicious cycle of frustration and insecurities.


My expectations were ridiculous and the time frame that I had set for myself was even more absurd. I refused to pace myself or give my body the chance to adapt to this new change and I dismissed my trainer's words of wisdom.

And that, my friends, was a lesson well learnt because it bit me in the ass. I over exerted my body to a point of injuring it; my knees were in the worst condition they had ever been in and I felt my joints falling apart, one by one. Through this, I came to realize the tribulations I had put my poor body through by being foolish and pretty much stupid.

And so, I decided to try a different approach. I started to actually listen to my trainer and take his advice. I became more mindful during my workout sessions and paid attention to my technique rather than just performing. I even started to pick up better eating habits.

Over the next few months, I learned the most important lesson; I quieted my mind and listened to my body. On days that I knew I couldn't exercise, I simply wouldn't. If a certain position would hurt (in a bad way), I would stop and adjust. I learned how to breathe and focus during a workout instead of debating what set to do next. I started to ask my trainer the right questions: what should I eat after my work out? What is considered too much carbs?


I became stronger and kinder to my body. Of course, I still have days where I battle my demons and panic over the Fit Girls of Instagram page, but I come back to my new epiphanies. It's not easy, but nothing worth it ever is. And trust me, exercising IS worth it because it helps you become kinder and more patient with yourself - something that our social media driven generation majorly lacks. It also becomes a tool that battles your anxieties; what better way to release the feel good chemicals and endorphins than to break a sweat? (Ever heard of the runner's high? I can vouch for it, hands down).

Sure, we all want to look amazing but exercising provides more than that. You'll come to agree with me as you begin your journey towards a happier you.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Maram_J/2201501
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

See Also