Decide What You Want, and Get After It




I speak with people every day who tell me why they can't do what I do.

Reader, I'm not that amazing, or special, or gifted. I have the same amount of time as everyone else. And I wasn't blessed with an over-abundance of talent. I was blessed as a child to recognize that work gets results. And that's been a common theme in my life. I worked at music, I practiced (as a music teacher, I can tell you how RARE a phenomenon this is) and I got great results. I competed, and performed all over the country, and eventually got a scholarship to attend a prestigious university. When I started CrossFit, I started at the bottom of the barrel. I was lucky to not have to struggle with too much extra weight, mobility issues or injuries, but I was what I think of now as "skinny fat." I wasn't strong, or fast. I'd never done anything athletic, and I'm not a natural athlete. It took me 3 months to get my first pull ups. It took me much longer than that to get handstand push ups, and years to get my first muscle ups. I worked and worked and worked to get where I am today, and while I am tremendously grateful for the things I've been able to do so far, I am still working.

I'm not trying to be boastful, or lecture anyone. We all have a story to tell, and I hope you know that this article is written from a place of love. Truly.

It drives me crazy when people tell me why they can't do something. I'm always correcting people, in my head or out loud, with "YET" when they say they can't... You can't do it, yet. But if you want it, then quit telling yourself you can't do it. Get out of your head, and get to work.

First thing's first: decide what you want. Not everyone wants the same thing. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Recognize that, and also recognize that if you don't want a shredded body, or 10 unbroken muscle ups, or wealth and fame or whatever it is that you actually don't want, then you don't need to complain that you're not getting it. It's not a priority. Decide what is, and get after that.

If your family is a priority, do you spend time with them?

Is your health and fitness a priority? What are you doing about it? Do you get into the gym regularly, or do you stay in bed when you're tired?

Are you eating for your goals, or do you eat and drink what sounds good in the moment?

I periodically make a list of the things that I want. It's a great way to check in with your priorities. And I can clearly see if the way I'm spending my time is still in line with what I want. It's easy to get side-tracked. I challenge you to write down what you actually want. Write down five things that are most important to you, and take a look at how you're spending every day. Seriously... go do that now.

Now, think back over the last two weeks, to two months. Does your list line up with how you've been spending your time?

Alright, that was the rough part. Now, we get into just how to get out of your own head. If fitness is on your list (and from my heavily biased point of view, I hope it was!), here's how you're going to shift your life so that your priority matches your actions.

We all get discouraged, and we all have days when things just aren't going well. You're tired, the baby was up all night, it's snowing/raining/cloudy/sunny, or ___________ (fill in any other excuse here). I get it. I've been there. Here are ten ways to get around whatever it is that's holding you back
What to do when you don't want to go to the gym (and you know you should):

  • You don't want to/can't pay for a membership. This is one I completely sympathize with. However... I think this is possibly the easiest to get around. We spend money on things we don't need every single day. Take a look at your budget. See where you can trim, and where you can find some slush. Yes, CrossFit memberships are more expensive than a typical gym membership (and honestly, if that is what you can afford then by all means, do that), but you're getting such a huge value for your buck. No where will you find more involved, more knowledgeable coaching, or a more highly motivating community. This is an investment in your health and future. Also, keep in mind that each box is owned by a human being. If you have skills you can trade (that's how I got my start), or something you can offer, just ask... there's no harm in discussing your situation. The worst that can happen is you're stuck at any other gym, and you're still moving.

  • You don't have the time. There are days in my week that I'm up at 3:15am to make sure I get in what I want to work on. There is time. Remember this is your priority. You can make it work.

  • Set your gym clothes out. This is especially helpful when you're going to the gym in the early morning when it's difficult to get up. I have a friend who sleeps in her gym clothes if she knows she's really going to struggle to get out of bed. If you're going to the gym later, pack your gym bag the night before. Don't forget to pack a meal or snacks if necessary. If possible, go straight from work to the gym, don't go home first, you'll get stuck.

  • Block out enough time. If you know your workout will take an hour, make sure you clear enough time on your calendar.

  • Get out of your head. Remember what you're feeling right now (tired, foggy, groggy, sluggish) is probably not how you'll feel once you actually start moving. That's just your head, which is weak, and reluctant. Just go.

  • Take it step by step, rep by rep. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing at my barbell, or under the rings, or looking up at the wall ball target with my heart racing as the clock counts down and wondering how in hell I'm going to make it to the other side of this workout. Countless, Reader, countless times. And you know what I tell myself every time? Move through it. One at a time if I have to. Just move through it. And if it's hard to even get to that point, well, I give myself an out. I tell myself that once I set up, I still have the option to walk away. I can always walk away. (side note, this is very similar to my strategy for getting out of bed every morning. I tell myself I can take a nap later if I get out of bed NOW. Most days it's a bald-faced lie, but, amazingly, it still works... )
  • Find a training buddy. There have been times in my training when I've had to work out alone, and those were always difficult times. Luckily, CrossFit is structured in group classes, so this may not even be an issue for many of you. But even in classes, find someone who's about comparable to your ability and strength, a little faster or a little slower and work on catching them or staying just ahead of them. And don't just compete with them. Cheer them on, and congratulate their successes. And most importantly, be accountable to each other.

  • Just START. If you've gotten out of the habit of getting to the gym, set a goal of just getting there 3-4 times a week, every week for one month. Once you're there, just get set up. And once you're set up, just move through it. Being in that place where everyone else is also working towards what you are working towards is incredibly motivating. For the first bit, allow that to carry you forward. One of my favorite cues as a coach, and one that I tell myself all the time is to start whatever movement I'm on and the rest will follow. If I'm doing burpees, put my hands on the ground, the rest will follow. On the barbell, hands on the bar, set my back, the rest will follow. The same is true if you will get yourself to the gym.

  • Know that you're still loved no matter what. My cousin and I used to tell ourselves and each other after or during particularly stressful or disappointing workouts that "Jesus still loves you." That still works for me. In the middle of 150 wall balls and having to break them up into sets of 3? Jesus still loves me. Failing muscle ups, or weights that I should be able to do in my sleep? Jesus still loves me. Whatever you believe in, and I do hope you believe in unconditional love in some form, you're still worthy of that love no matter what happens in or out of the gym. And you're worthy of your own love. Remember, this is a journey, and that each time you take a step in that journey, towards what you want and what you deserve. you are achieving something amazing.


  • Record milestones, and reward yourself. As a coach/teacher, I can tell you that praise for positive behavior gets amazing results. I'm quick to point out to clients and students what they are doing well. Because that's what I want more of! Why wouldn't you speak to yourself the same way? Not only can you shower yourself with praise, but rewarding yourself is an important step to reaching your goals. If your fitness goals are hand in hand with your diet (probably a good combo there, just saying), then maybe find some rewards that are not food related. Buy yourself a pair of shoes that you've had your eye on, or an outfit, or get your nails done. Guys, buy tickets to a game that you've been wanting to see, or plan that camping or road trip you've been meaning to take. Make it something that's within your means, and make sure you follow through!

Reader, I wish you the very best in reaching your goals and chasing after your dreams. You can do amazing things!


Elizabeth is a cook, musician, CrossFit Coach and athlete, and a single mother of three. She blogs about finding balance in life, overcoming challenges and finding joy at http://elizaspencer.com.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Elizabeth_Spencer/2240709



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9329450
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

See Also